Greenwich Country Club [CT]
Greenwich Country Club [CT] 1911. Specimen; $100. First Mortgage 4% Gold Bond. All 41 coupons attached. Ornate border; American Banknote Co.
Founded in 1892, as the Fairfield County Golf Club, the Greenwich Country Club is a first-class, family-oriented Private Club that offers a full range of amenities including our elite 18-hole golf course, driving range, racquets courts (tennis, squash and paddle), swimming pool and the area's finest dining and social facilities. Under the enthusiastic leadership of Julian W. Curtiss (1858 - 1944), first President of the newly chartered organization, the club grew from a five-hole backyard endeavor to a code of peaceful knolls in excess of 165 acres.
The club was the fourth Country Club established in America. In 1909, the name was changed to the Greenwich Country Club, reflecting the expansion of the club’s facilities to include a broader spectrum of activities and sports other than golf.
Concurrent to the name change, its focus from that of a sports club to a complete country club - a place where spouse, sons, and daughters of members may gather, the object being to cater for families as well as athletic element in various sports. Tennis courts, stands and traps for shooting were added and bridge parties, dramatic readings by period’s leading playwrights, weekly receptions and dance joined golf as activities enjoyed by club members. Its sumptuous design and beautiful furnishings made it the social center of Greenwich for nearly three decades.